Prior to founding Markery Law, Jacqueline Patt was a partner at an AmLaw 100 law firm where she worked for more than 14 years with Fortune 100 companies, small businesses and entrepreneurs alike on all aspects of their global brand management. Taking these invaluable experiences with her, Ms. Patt formed Markery Law to focus on providing exceptional legal services with a business practical approach. As a business owner, Ms. Patt understands the need for quality, value-driven advice and counseling.
Ms. Patt focuses her practice on international trademark protection and enforcement, including searching and clearance of marks, prosecuting trademark applications, policing and enforcement, and counseling on global strategy. Ms. Patt also represents clients in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Ms. Patt counsels clients on brand management issues online including use of marks in social media and other Internet advertising. She assists clients with domain name disputes, advising on the new gTLD program, and preparing and filing domain name complaints under ICANN's Uniform Domain Dispute Resolution Policy. She also counsels on anti-counterfeiting efforts worldwide including recording trademarks with customs services and coordinating investigations into counterfeiting activities.
- District of Columbia
- Federal Circuit
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law
- B.S., with honors, University of Maryland
- Member, International Trademark Association;
Trademark Enforcement Committee (2014-2016); INTA Bulletin-Features Articles Subcommittee (2010-2013), The Trademark Reporter Committee (2007-2009)
American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- District of Columbia Bar, Intellectual Property Section
- Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Represented retail store in successful Federal Circuit Appeal affirming decision in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board cancellation proceeding in client's favor against multi-national European retail chain store.
- Counseled and negotiated co-branding license and distribution agreement between food manufacturer and global entertainment company.
- Negotiated brand placement agreement for international hotel company featured in a motion picture film.
- Negotiated and drafted license and manufacturing agreement between furniture manufacturer and well-known interior designer.
- Consulted and negotiated joint promotion agreement between major motion picture studio and food manufacturer relating to the release of a motion picture film and subsequent DVD release.
- Represented identity theft protection company in dispute with major competitor involving keyword purchasing and search engine optimization strategies.
- Defense of an international food and agricultural company in opposition proceeding resulting in favorable coexistence agreement.
- Enforcement of identity theft protection company’s trademark rights in opposition proceeding resulting in abandonment of infringing application.
- Enforcement of commercial property insurance company’s trademark rights against competitor in opposition proceeding resulting abandonment of infringing application.
- Represented identity theft protection company in trademark infringement action resulting in abandonment of infringing mark.
- Represented commercial property insurance company in trademark infringement action resulting in abandonment of infringing mark.
- Represented retirement community in trademark infringement action and concurrent use proceeding against competitor.
- Represented international retail chain in action under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.
- Recognized in the 2013 edition of Legal 500, Trademarks: Non-Contentious
- Partner in the Trademark Practice Group of an AmLaw 100 firm that was listed among the top 20 trademark filers in the United States by World Trademark Review (WTR) magazine in association with Corporation Service Company in 2011, ranked in top 10 in U.S. and No. 1 in D.C. for applications filed by Trademark Insider in 2010, and ranked 12 in the nation for registrations issued by Intellectual Property Today in 2010.
- Partner in the Trademark Practice Group at an AmLaw 100 firm that was listed as a go-to law firm for intellectual property in the 5th Annual In-House Law Departments at the Top 500 Companies in Corporate Counsel December 2007.
- Honored at the Federal Bench Bar Conference for work on pro bono appointments by the Court, October 2000.
Publications and Speeches
- “Trademark Nuts and Bolts: How to Protect Your Company’s Brand”, LARTA Institute, Webinar on November 5, 2013 and Speaker November 6, 2013
- “Protecting Your Brand; Intellectual Property for Business Owners,” Speech at the Women’s Business Center, October 16, 2013
- “(dot)They’re Coming: Update for Brand Owners on the New gTLDs”, co-presenter, Thompson West LegalEd Center, August 27, 2013
- What Colour is Your Trademark?, House Marques, co-author, December 2012
- Chain Reaction (How Brand Owners Can Secure Supply Chains to Prevent Product Loss), Intellectual Property Magazine, co-author, October 2012
- Fashionistas Rejoice! Second Circuit Orders Win/Win for Louboutin and Yves St. Laurent, IP Buzz and All About Advertising Law, September 2012
- Not All Is Fair (Use) in Trademarks and Copyrights, International Trademark Association (INTA) Bulletin, September 15, 2012
- (dot)News : ICANN Reveals List of New gTLDs Applications, IP Buzz and All About Advertising Law - June 2012
- "Trademark Filing Strategy and Counseling," guest lecture at George Mason University School of Law, June 6, 2012
- "What Every Trademark Lawyer Should Know About Advertising Review" at INTA's 2012 Annual Meeting, May 6, 2012
- Fourth Circuit Revives Rosetta Stone’s Claims Against Google Over its AdWords Program, IP Buzz - April 2012
- "Dot Marketer? What ICANN's gTLD Expansion Means for your Brand... and Your Bottom Line" for the Direct Marketing Associati on, February 3, 2012
- How to Protect Your Intellectual Property Online and Avoid Legal Pitfalls, Webinar for Association Trends, May 26, 2011
- “International Trademark Policing and Risks on Social Media” Presentation to Top Level Executive Group at food industry client, May 17, 2010.
- “Trademarks Basics” Webinar presented to outside advertising agencies and in-house marketing team at food industry client, January 2010.